3/10/2008

What's up with this guy?

I'm in a visit and the mom has the kid's socks off.

"Look at your feetsies!" she says. "Gimme your feetsies! Gimme some feetsies! Let Mommy have some of your feetsies!" She tickles his feet and pretends to bite them. "Mommy's gonna eat your feetsies! Let Mommy eat your feetsies!"

This is cute, but the thing is…say "feetsies" out loud. Say it a few times. Maybe slur it a little. Getting a different picture now?

Disturbing. I think I'll plug my ears now.



Anyway, on that note, I want to tell you all what's up with me right now, since people are always looking at me like "What is up with that guy?"

(NOTE: The following section is only for people who give a damn about me or my future. If that's not you, go here)

What I am doing right now is mainly writing, at the expense of any and all social activity. Here's the thing in a nutshell---Through random luck and the healing power of the Internet, I recently made some contacts in the entertainment industry, and I currently have the attention of a potential literary agent and a major Hollywood film producer. The former might possibly get me published, the latter might possibly get one of my stories made into a movie. They like my style but they're waiting for me to produce a significant piece that they can work with, so while we were "in talks", they asked me what I've got in the pipe. Here's what I've got:

I have a novel called The Inside that I wrote a couple years ago. It is fully written but needs some severe editing and revising, so it has been collecting dust in my computer for years while I fritter my time away on music and painting, with the occasional short story popping out between distractions. Now I'm buckling down and getting to work. I have picked up The Inside again and am already 2/3rds of the way finished editing it. So, there won't be any new short stories for a while, but I expect to be finished with The Inside by early April, and once it's done, it will be available here on the site and also probably in a short-run print version. And hopefully, with luck, it will impress the powers that be enough to get my foot jammed in the massive oak-and-brass door of the publishing industry.

You can see progress updates and a little teaser for The Inside HERE

And as if that business wasn't all-consuming enough, I'm also in the early planning stages of a short novel based on "I Am a Zombie Filled With Love". Yes, a novel. Zombie culture is rich with tradition, music, and exotic cuisine. We have much to learn from them, and it's high time their story was told.





P.S In case you're slow--- Feces.

11 comments:

  1. Feetsies. Feetsies. Feetsies.

    I'm very much a fan of your writing and I'm excited to read up on the updates of The Inside :D It sounds definitely like something I'd like to read and watch (so long as you know, the person who'll make it into a movie isn't Satoshi Kon. His work gives me nightmares).

    Feetsies. Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh that's really great Isaac :)

    The Inside teaser is also pretty awesome.. I can't wait to read the entire thing someday.

    Honestly you're one of my favorite writers.. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be cool if they decide to make a movie of the zombie novel.... Meg Ryan could be Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, nice, nice perspectives! Even though I'm a new reader and I think Charles Bronson rocks (or used to rock, he died, right? I don't remember!), I truly care about your future. Because I want the books, the film and a worldwide launching, so you'd come to Brasil and I'd get your autograph. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, man. Make a lot of money. Strike a blow for the House of Sayed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just I am a Zombie Filled with Love. Greatly awesome. Enjoyed it a lot.

    Here is my own site www.myspace.com/dreamofbetterdays.

    I'm trying to make my own blog butt got no time to research too much into it. Thinking of Freeway perhaps.

    Anyhow this isn't about self-promotion, but I'd love to chat as a writer to a writer.

    You're a real talent from that story I read!

    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  7. i will kill to see your movie, and also read your book. yes. yes. when you're doing a signing up at powell's in portland, i'll be sure that i'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I can't wait to read The Inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isaac!! I am SO excited that you're finally getting published! The publishing world is not a kind place. Or maybe I just got that impression because, as a high schooler, they never took me seriously; maybe things can change now. Haha. But yeah, I'm really stoked for you to have broken into it. I will definitely buy The Inside when it comes out. I admire your style and cleverness. Keep being awesome!

    ~ Mandii

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well let's not get carried away Mandii! I'm not actually GETTING PUBLISHED yet, I just have a contact who might be able to help me get there, assuming she likes the book! Fingers crossed, but who knows.

    Publishing industry does seem pretty nasty though, I've always been a little afraid of it. BUT, if you're in highschool now... No offense, but if you're anything like I was, you will read your current stuff a few years from now and realize that it was TERRIBLE and you can do much better. That's what I've been doing, hence the revising of The Inside. ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck!! I'd love to see a longer piece based on Zombie.

    And, uh, yeah, that mother is disturbing. Or disturbed. One of those things.

    ReplyDelete