4/05/2008

MY NOVEL IS HERE!

Friends of the internet, I've been murmuring about this for a while, and now it's here. For those of you who enjoy my short stories, which are usually no more than a few pages long, it may surprise you to find out that I wrote a whole entire novel, thick enough to smash a bee with and then keep hitting it until there's nothing left but yellowish-black goo. The novel is dual-use like that, you see. It's called THE INSIDE, and I've been working on it for over 6 years. (Cue Stewie Griffin rising-pitch monologue) It is now FINISHED.



So now the situation is this: Yes, I may have the opportunity to get it published sometime in the future, but if that happens, it's going to be a long time before we ever see it in bookstores. So in the mean time, I am having 50 copies printed and made into beautiful little books, with covers and back covers and spines and everything. They will look JUST LIKE A REAL BOOK! One or two of them may even feature a tiny chip that plays music when you open it.* (Like a Walkman.)

I settled on the number 50 because I figure that's about the number of people in Washington who read books. I know it may seem like a high estimate, but we DO have Seattle, which is the #1 Most Literate City in America, so there's got to be at least 15 readers just right there. The catch here is that those 50 books are costing me 750$ to have made. Guess who's going into debt again? Thiiiis guy.

So, as much as I'd love to just give the books away or put it all up for free online, I need to sell them to recoup my costs. That's where you come in, dear readers. Local music gets PLENTY of support, how about supporting local literature for once?

Please go check out the BOOK TRAILER AND ORDER PAGE, and read the first 90 pages online. It's my hope to have you hooked by then. So put down your Wii stick and close your Youtube for a second, and remember what it was like to sit down in a comfy chair and read a super-limited edition signed copy of an independently published psychological thriller/love story written by a 26 year old lobster trainer.


P.S By "local" I mean everywhere in the world where people do things on their own without the support of massive companies. So I don't care if you live in Ohio, Florida, California, or Samoa, you can still join the party.





* (Not true. This will never be.)

17 comments:

  1. So is there anyway a guy in Texas can get his hands on one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same way everyone else can get them, Chet. Just go to the page and order one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's a lot of money for a few books. I feel your pain, dude; I spent ALL of my graduation money publishing my last book....... Good luck with it all, I definitely hope to buy one of these limited edition copies. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with the sales; I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. You can rest easy knowing that somewhere in Illinois will roam a copy of your novel, no doubt causing seismic disturbance in the local ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'll be ordering one, as soon as i get paid... do you think there will be any left by Friday? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just ordered one. Hopefully you haven't run out yet...

    Congrats. I'm working on publishing my book, so now you gotta buy one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a walkman in those cards? I thought it was headphones...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why you need to get the money back... You are rich!! Don't try to trick us, you got a raise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting it, but only because the preview was so ominous it inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im a poor brazilian woman who really wants your book. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chu, yes of course you can get one. Anyone on the earth! But especially Brazil. Just order it from the main page there, same as anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *vocal imitation of Billy Mayes*

    "HEY ISAAC! Does this mean that ANYONE can order your book? EVEN ME, BILLY? HOW WILL THE BOOK GET TO ME? I know that I can buy anything I wish with the click of a mouse and have it sent to my doorstep, but this is a BOOK! How does it work?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really hope there's still a copy available by the 15th.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isaac, I'm sure the 50 copies will be gone soon. I've just bought two of them. But I think charging 3 dollars for sending them all the way to Brazil can be a problem. Let me know if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will there be more copies if demand supports it? Or will I have to hunt down this chet guy and borrow his? I just haven't got the money right now, but maybe in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Falkin, I'm not sure about that one... It would be nice to get more copies since I'm already down to 12, but I would be nervous to do another whole print run because I don't know if there will be enough buying stragglers to absorb another 50 books. My fear is of getting another 50, selling 10 or 15 to the latecomers, and then being stuck with 35 or 40 unpaidfor books...

    ReplyDelete