2/01/2012

Women's Age

When a woman tells you her age, do you act surprised or nonchalant?

If you act surprised, she may find it insulting, as if you're saying "God, I can't believe how OLD you are!" instead of what you really mean, which is "God, I can't believe how young you look for your age!"

If you act nonchalant, she may find it insulting, as if you're saying, "Yeah...that sounds about right."

No-win scenario?

Also, what is the approximate age when you should never ask? Because if a girl's in her 20s, this is important information for getting to know her. Is she just out of high school and starting her college life, or is she deep into a career, possibly married and divorced already? I want to know these things, but I always feel vaguely inappropriate asking due to the silly social idea that women are supposed to be young, young, young, and then abruptly die of old age.

8 comments:

  1. "the silly social idea that women are supposed to be young, young, young, and then abruptly die of old age"

    Hilarious, but yeah that tends to be societies unkind perception.

    Here's a hint, always get to know a woman before asking that question. It shouldn't take long to get the gist of her personality. If she has a good nature she'll totally take the surprise and run with it (in other words good for you).

    In any case if a woman gets insulted that easily, you're probably better off holding out for someone with a bit of humor. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. Good timing--I just turned 49 (amazing I lived this long) and MY BOOK ARRIVED!!! Guess what I'm doing on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead ask her which president was in the white house when she was born, when they don't know ask "We'll what year were you born/how old are you?" Then impress her with your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pffft. If this is a woman you are interested in dating, act as you really feel. Because if she falls in love with a fake you, what does that mean for the future? Sounds corny, but in my experience this strategy works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i never am in a situation where a woman has to tell me her age.

    That's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When she tells you her age, just say, "You're still hot."

    ReplyDelete
  7. When she tells you her age, just say, "You're still hot."

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best way out of this no-win situation is to avoid the question all together. haha I think age is less important anyway right? You can find out if she's in or out of high school, recently graduated, married, and/or divorce through conversation without asking her for her age :) I've known people who are older but are mentally in high school and vice versa.

    Personally I like it when people act surprise (they usually follow up with a, "what! you look a lot younger!") over non-nonchalant response. I especially like it when people ask me if I'm still in school although my mother replies with "they are just being nice". Asian mothers.

    ReplyDelete