9/26/2012

Art Show!


Back in 2003 A.D, when I was a frustrated, 21-year-old starving artist struggling to figure out who I was and what I was doing with my post-cult life, I was invited to do an art show at Western Washington University's gallery. In addition to my paintings, some of which you can see on this blog, I created a video installation which was projected on a wall and, in my opinion, really tied the room together.

I just recently unearthed the DVD of this video, and I wanted to share it with you folks. It's crude stuff, and very lo-fi video quality, having been created on late-90s software and moved carelessly back and forth between many file formats and I believe at one point, run through a VCR? For some reason? But somehow it still holds a fascination for me, and if you're a really die-hard fan of my writing and art styles and also very patient, you might find some pleasure in it.










Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. thrilling. deep. scary. funny. i don't know how to set my emotions after watching this. i learned that one is a company & i'm happy about it. :) beautiful. keep it going

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a Gybe, boards of canada, and the 50's twilight zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you caught me red-handed, Mr. Holmes! I was obsessed with all three of those things at the time I made this.

      Delete
  3. I'd been meaning to look at this for quite some time but forgot about it (for shame) until I read the interview you posted on Twitter yesterday. Well, I think I can say I've been redeemed of forgetfulness, because I just spent 40 minutes watching this twice, lost in thought and feeling the entire time. And the best, most concise response I can come up with is "wow." I've never seen anything remotely similar, except in my dreams. It's beautiful and sad and funny and frightening and...just....wow. My favorite artwork is at 9:45. My favorite part is scene 4, the woods sequence, which aside from having awesome photography, struck me as the most pensive and personal part of the entire piece. I felt the narrator's humor, shame, loneliness, fear, change in outlook, and resignation to facing a forever changed world. The introduction and ending are glorious, and I love, love, love the last line: "Nothing will ever be resolved, and it's perfect." Once again, you prove yourself a master in so many fields, and you grab my heart and mind and shake them, leaving me different than I was only moments ago. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well shit, Isaac, that was insane :D My first favorite thing was the comment made by the bomber: "I'M STARVING!" Omgosh. The depth of that statement is beyond profound. I believe that it's the collective outcry of the entire world. And I think that the entire world is straining to grasp onto the, "FOR WHAT?!" Seriously, after those words popped onto the screen I had trouble focusing on the video, for being lost in thought. My second favorite phrase was, "Even though I sing reasonably well," which was humorous, sincere, and reflective in one nice little package. I mean, after watching this I guess the only thing I can say is, "COULD YOU BE ANY MORE SHALLOW???!!!" Hahahaha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Bethany. ;-) (The singing comment made me crack up, actually. Mostly because I can relate so well!)

      Delete