5/02/2013

Warm Bodies 2: The Soundtrack

Music is a big part of my writing. Sometimes it provides the emotional groundwork for dreaming up the story, sometimes it fuels the writing, and sometimes it finds its way into the story itself, but it's always involved somewhere.

As I've mentioned quite a few times already, I'm writing a sequel and conclusion to the Warm Bodies story, and since it's a much bigger, more complex tale than Warm Bodies, it requires a lot of planning and in-brain sketching before I can actually put fingers to keyboard and start writing chapter one. Most of this process happens during long drives, long train rides, long walks, and long runs, with a steady flow of music being pumped into my brain to keep feelings in and distractions out.

Since the completion of this book is in the distant future (Wild guess: maybe mid to late 2014?) I thought I might offer you a little window into the world I'm building via the music that's inspiring it. A little taste of the mood and atmosphere bubbling in my head at the moment.  So this is the playlist I listen to during those drives, rides, walks, and runs, imaginatively titled "Writing Mix":


1. "Window" - The Album Leaf
2. "Dayvan Cowboy (Odd Nosdam mix)" - Boards of Canada
3. "That Home" - The Cinematic Orchestra
4. "The Snow" - The Eastern Sea
5. "The Commander Thinks Aloud" - The Long Winters
6. "Terrible Love" - The National
7. "Music for a Nurse" - Oceansize
8. "Deadbeat Water" - Thee More Shallows
9. "Zoetrope" - Boards of Canada
10. "The Mighty Rio Grande" - This Will Destroy You
11. "Down There" - Jenni Potts
12. "Phone Call" - Jon Brion
13. "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack" - Liars
14. "Takk" - Sigur Ros
15. "Big Red Machine" - Bon Iver
16. "Counting in C" - Jad Abumrad
17. "Start a War" - The National
18. "Tell" - Son Lux
19. "Odi Et Amo" - Johann Johannson
20. "Green Arrow" - Yo La Tango
21. "The Optimist" - Zoe Keating
22. "An Ending (Ascent)" - Brian Eno
23. "Frysta" - Olafur Arnalds
24. "Atoms for Peace (Four Tet remix)" - Thom Yorke
25. "Near Light" - Olafur Arnalds
26. "To Build a Home" - The Cinematic Orchestra

This is a pretty good representation of the feels that will be involved in this book, although it should be noted that there will also be thrills, jokes, and scary shit. Those emotions are not well-represented in this playlist because I don't need assistance writing them. Primal responses like fear and laughter are relatively easy to provoke. Beauty, heartbreak, and elevation are much more fragile and harder to capture, but they are the prey I'm hunting. Wish me luck!

-Isaac


P.S The sequel is not going to be called Warm Bodies 2, for God's sake, or Warm Bodies: Even Warmer, for the love of the aforementioned God. Get a grip, you guys.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 comments:

  1. Not that you even NEED good luck wishes (because you're already amazing), but "good luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha Warm Bodies 2 LOL! I do have to say in Spain 'Warm Bodies' book is called R&Julie (WHAAAAAT?!) Yes! ahhhh...I only hope -whatever the name they give it- your books come to Ecuador soon! Good luck with the sequel!!! and thank for sharing the meaning of elevation! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R&Julie isn't that bad, you know. In fact, polish translators came up with something much worse... They called movie (and one, of the translated WB book, editions) 'Eternally Alive'...

      Delete
    2. The Movie in Latin America es called "Mi Novio es un Zombi" (My Boyfriend is a Zombie) so... It's worse... lol

      Delete
    3. In germany, it's "my pallid (boy)friend" :/

      Delete
  3. My musical tastes run from classical to Daft Punk. I have never heard of any of these songs or musicians. Thanks for the playlist. Since I love Warm Bodies, I will have to check out this list. And enjoy your work on the sequel. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you used the term "feels" haha :D And not that you even need it, but good luck! Hope you finish it sooner tho lol Can't wait for the sequel! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let the iTunes playlist building begin!
    FTR, Carter Burwell usually helps get me into that grand, melancholic writer's mood.
    Gotta love the Where the Wild Things Are score.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (dont judge book by its name or cover).
    i cant wait,but rushing will be bad,
    so good luck i hope you bring to us what we waiting for :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. all these songs are very good and I never heard any of them...
    Can't wait to read this book!
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luck ;) Coincidentally, The Mighty Rio Grande did, in fact, destroy me. Also Arnalds' last song "Near Light." It's so incredible how well this music encompasses a "Warm Bodies-esque" theme, with some added undertones. I am STOKED about all of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You ruled out 'Warmer Bodies?' Oh no--I thought that was the one! Please reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing what you listen to for writing vibes! Can't WAIT to see what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny DeShieldsMay 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

    The intrinsically talented (i.e., you) don't require luck. Instead I wish you inspiration and a cosmic connection to the words you need to create the feels we crave. With music like this flowing through your veins, that shouldn't be a problem. (The Snow and To Build a Home -- major loves) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heart you, your writing & taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heartbreak? Whose heart will be breaking? I don't really want to know yet, but the thought alone, that R's heart might be broken, hurts...
    I just recently discovered your book and the movie, but I have fallen for them completely. It is for me the perfect timing of a perfect story full of thoughts and ideas I can totally identify with. And I adore your style of writing, your figures of speech, the metaphors and comparisons and how you capture feelings and moods.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I was the only Long WInters fan, thanks for making my day man

    ReplyDelete
  16. So excited to read it! Love Takk by Sigur Ros. The whole album is gorgeous. Were any of the songs from the Warm Bodies film soundtrack chosen by you based on inspiration as you were writing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no involvement with the movie soundtrack. But in a weird meta twist, I've been listening to the movie soundtrack and score as inspiration for writing the sequel...

      Delete
  17. The movie soundtrack is one of the most beautiful OST I ever had heard. Right now I'm listening "Number Don't Lie" by The Mynabirds. Gorgeous!!! Love from Argentina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isaac, How do I send you messages on Formspring? I need your advice desperately. I don't have facebook but I used to talk to you on Formspring all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The fact that The National makes this list is a good indication I’m going to like some of these bands I’ve never heard of...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I clicked on one of them and without having the window open a Beyonce ad was playing and I was like, "Wuuuuuuh...."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, am I crazy or was "terrible love" not there before? #feeling foolish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on there. :-) I printed out the whole list when Mr. Marion first posted it so I could look up all the songs.

      Delete
  22. "Even Warmer" how sillily cool is that ^^
    I loved the fact that there was a lot of Sinatra going on in the WB book - and I also loved that they were showing the cover of a Doors album in the movie. I feel a bit estranged from contemporary music :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet, thanks for sharing! I'm a music junkie, and love discovering new stuff. This is the perfect list to listen to while writing as I get distracted by lyrics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I commented on this when I was only a couple of songs in, but occasionally lyrics are okay, too. ;)

      I first heard "To Build a Home" in a preview for the new season of Homeland, can't get enough of it!!

      Delete