4/04/2014

Warm Bodies sequel update--but real this time!

For publisher pitching purposes, I was asked to write a detailed synopsis of everything that's going to happen in Book 3, which is kind of like writing the whole book in Cliff's Notes. Everything's there, it's just simpler and shorter. For example, instead of several chapters describing Frodo's journey from Shelob's cave through the Orc fort and into the Cracks of Doom, you'd get, "Frodo simply walks into Mordor."

The end result is a compact little model of the story that you can hold in one hand and examine, and many thoughts occurred to me as I examined it. One was holy shit, this is a weird book. Not only for its contents, which are pretty weird (zombies, semi-zombies, maybe-zombies, ghosts, goats, boats, gaps in reality, and trippy philosophical pseudo-magic) but for how it functions as a sequel. Warm Bodies was essentially about one person's struggle with himself; the sequel is about several people's struggles with themselves, each other, and the wider world and all its broken systems (cultural, political, cosmic). So I always knew it was going to be a bigger book, but now that I stand back and look at it...wow, this is a lot bigger. Not just in length (I'm 200 pages in and predicting around 500 or 600 by the end, compared to Warm Bodies' 230) but in scope. As a sequel to Warm Bodies, it's so disproportionately ambitious, I might be trying to build a space shuttle on the frame of a hang glider. It probably would have been more sensible to start from scratch and tackle these ideas in a whole new story, but...this is where R took me, so fuck it, I'm going in. I hope when the time comes (I'm guessing mid to late 2015) you'll be crazy enough to go in with me.

-Isaac



P.S Just to be super clear, my last post was very definitely an April Fools prank based on all the goofy theories I've heard about what's going to happen in this book. The sequel will not, in fact, be a grotesque mashup of every known YA cliche. Thanks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

  1. Still agree with Boromir: One does not simply walk into mordor..

    And I was very releaved with the fact april fools excists when I read your last post haha. Cant wait to be in 2015 to join your ride.

    Xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the level of writing you bring to our little hodgepodge corner of the internet, then I think you most definitely could have pulled of the storylines in your April Fools Day trickery, but I am immensely relieved it won't come to fruition.

    I anxiously await more news about the sequel, and can't wait its release!

    Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would wait years for a sequel if I had to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am already looking forward to the sequel. The fact that you think it is going to be over twice the size of it's predecessor makes me want to read it even more! :)

    Happy writing and have a great weekend! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear that this will be a pretty big book as Warm Bodies was so good it ended way too soon! I love reading big books! As for the strange psychological and goats, I'm really excited to read about! Also, I can't wait to see how R finds and handles his new "human" life and how he copes with it. 2015 won't come soon enough! Already counting down the days ;)
    Stay awesome and continue to write your amazing stories !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *psychological stuff

      Delete
  6. The only bad thing about this sequel is the ever building anticipation waiting for next year to arrive. Delayed gratification has never been so rough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie and R forever i Love you

    ReplyDelete
  8. the possibility that the suspense may literally be killing me is most likely larger than the new book is long. Also longer than this sentence, by miles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preview Version Audio Commentary louis vuitton outlet: Featuring Welles historians Jonathan replica handbags
    Although several of the "human death" scenes are obviously faked (with Allan A. Apone, make-up and special hermes replica effects artist for the film, saying that about 40% of it is fake[1]), some of the footage is genuine. Famous scenes of death from the media are included fendi outlet, such as stock footage of a napalm bombing in Vietnam, various newsreel footage, and wartime footage of Hitler. Also featured rolex submariner replica are the actual on-camera deaths of a variety of animals, including seals being clubbed to death gucci replica and animals being killed on the slaughterhouse line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want us to get there soon. We will. Don't worry about those kinds of things, ok? Only good things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will definitely be going on that journey with you and R ... Warm Bodies is one of my favourite books! (And surprisingly, I didn't end up hating the film adaptation!)
    I was hoping that there would be a lot more to R's continued story than that though. Glad this is going to be a long one.

    Keep going!

    Dani
    Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Singhhomes is an Australian owned and operated company .It was founded in 2009. Singhhomes initially started with building one house in Epping and with the dedication and hard works along with excellent Customer Service, exceptional Quality and flexibility offered by Singhhomes has made SinghHomes what it is today. Today Singhhomes is known as reputable & leading custom home builder in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder very often how you are doing. Very well, I sure do hope. I know what it's like to feel responsibility. I'll keep going if you will. It'll be worth it.
    talk to you later

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super excited to get the prequel for Christmas (top of the list!) and find some excuse (is an excuse even necessary?) to get the sequel. I'm also very confused as to why a single person can be so talented. Photographer, musician, painter, author, all whilst being completely hilarious...is there anything the great Isaac Marion can't accomplish?

    Non-committal shrugs,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt weird about this after I wrote it but I can't figure out how to rephrase it, so I'm gonna go with it. All intended in a positive way.

    The thing I like most about your writing is the personal nature of it. I guess I'm nervous that I'll lose something, but I know you don't write exclusively for me, so I can't be too selfish if you go in a slightly bigger direction. Thank you for everything you've written thus far; it's helped a lot for me, especially the earlier stuff. Not saying I'm gonna stop reading, but I want you to know your short stories are what made me buy your book and see your movie. Emotions or something, I dunno.

    Stay awesome, I guess?

    ReplyDelete